How EMBRACE is managed and governed
Governing Board (GB)
The governing board is the overall decisive body of the consortium and constitutes representatives from all institutions involved in the project. It is this board which validates the major decisions concerning the project.
Scientific Steering and Executive Committee (SSEC)
The main role of the Scientific Steering and Executive Committee is to make propositions to the Governing Board on the project work plan, budgets, and other matters necessary for the project advancement and success; and to implement the project decisions approved by the Governing Board. The SSEC is made up of the Work Package Leaders and the Coordinator, who acts as chair.
International Advisory Board (IAB)
The functions of the IAB are:
- advising on the project’s scientific approach and orientation by liaison with the SSEC, the coordinator and through participation in the annual general assemblies;
- providing a link to related activities outside Europe;
- providing an international perspective on developments in the field of Earth system modelling and climate change, with focus on major coordinated efforts.
- making recommendations for new actions and activities in this area.
The four members of the IAB are:
- Dr William Large, Head of Oceanography, NCAR, USA
- Dr Martin Miller, Head of Modelling ECMWF, Former chair of WGNE, UK
- Professor Carlos Nobre, Director of INPE and Chair of IGCP, Brazil
- Dr Natalie Mahowald, Director of Undergraduate Studies Science of Earth System, Cornell University, USA